About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Monday, August 24, 2009

A repost...Don't dance in front of your kid!

I've been asked to re-post this; while it's true that it's easy to scroll down and find it, my friend pointed out that new visitors to the blog might not do so, and another friend said they hadn't seen this one at all. So, since it's a favorite I'm going to repost it.

I also want to add one thought about why kids don't like their parents to dance in front of them. I touched on this in the comments section, but I want to elaborate. Dancing sexualizes a person (I mean, unless you're square dancing at Gilley's or doing the Polka at a relative's wedding) and for a kid, that's almost as bad as dying or showing up to school naked. A subject to never, ever even think about, much less have to witness when Mom or Dad are grooving to Shuggie Otis or Lil' Wayne.


Unless you're part of the Bolshoi Ballet or Alvin Ailey or some other company where you're making the big bucks, don't do it. No exceptions. NEVER dance in front of your children. I speak only from experience, from the horrified expression on my son's face when I dared to even tap my finger on the steering wheel of my car when "Juicy Fruit" or "Dancing Queen" came on the radio. Even worse, a pop song from his world (see above video). There's just no living it down. I remember seeing my dad dance when I was 10 or 11. It was summer, it was our annual neighborhood picnic, he'd had one too many Busch beers and he started to bust a move to a Mac Davis song. If I'm relaying this story now when I barely remember my childhood, then that explains the impact.

Trust me, DON'T DANCE IN FRONT OF YOUR KID.

No comments:

Post a Comment