About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Deviation From My Norm...


I've decided that once in awhile, it's nice to hear what someone else has to say :), so I've invited my friend Allison Burnett to answer a few questions.

I’ve known Allison since the early 1990s. We’ve weaved in and out of each other’s lives over the years, always staying in touch. We’re both highly opinionated people, and we’re both parents. You’ve seen my thoughts in this blog about parenting and aging, so now let’s hear what Allison has to say.

Q. Los Angeles has as many nannies as gardeners. Any thoughts about that?

A. Anyone who can afford either or both should thank his lucky stars. If nannies and gardeners are used as helpers instead of substitutes, they are a wonderful thing. Chloe and I both work at home, so our parenting of our two little boys is continual, and yet our nanny is a god-send.Similarly, Chloe has begun an organic vegetable garden, and yet we are relieved to have a gardener to tend to everything else.

Q. The Catholics have Pre-Cana before they are allowed to marry in the Church. Do you feel an equivalent, say "Pre-MamaDada", might be a good idea and possibly change the direction of this world? (oops, no leading questions, Sarah!)

A. I think people should have children with their eyes wide open, so if you are a parent and you have a friend contemplating having children you should try to talk them out of it. Tell them in gut-wrenching detail about the sleeplessness, the years-long house arrest, the rounds of flu, the vaccination worries, and the overall complete subjugation of your needs in favor of the child's.If you succeed in talking your friend out of it, then you have done the world a great service. The last thing the world needs is more unprepared or ambivalent parents.

Only those who welcome these sacrifices with open arms are ready for parenthood. I think the same thing about owning a dog, by the way. So many people buy dogs and have children for the same reason: to get love. In fact both are about giving love. I think a person should have children when his heart is overflowing not craving.

Q. What are your pet peeves when it comes to modern parents?

A. I am militant to the point of frothing when it comes to maternal abandonment of children from birth to about five. And by abandonment I mean spending a single night away from them, unless it is an absolute necessity, such as when the mother is giving birth to another baby.

I know I am in a tiny minority here, but I think leaving a young child without its mother is playing Russian Roulette with a kid’s sense of well being for the rest of his life. Many parents think nothing of taking a few days off, or even a whole week, from parenting. They fuck off to Europe or Mexico, and, after they get back, all they talk about it how hard it was for them to leave the baby, how they worried so, but that they knew it was so important for their marriage, and, thank God, they had their sister/mother/nanny to take care of the baby.

In their narcissism, it becomes all about them and their fears, worries, and needs, without a moment’s concern for the psychological well being of the child. And there is no one to correct them, because the child cannot speak, or, if he can, he is reassured, smooched, and gifted into silence. Any damage that has been inflicted goes underground. But not forever.

Premature separation from mother can be devastating. Even apes show lowered serotonin levels when separated from their mothers! Why do we think we are any different? Can you imagine what it is like for a small child to reach for his mother night after night and find her absent? What does this tell this child about his importance in the world, his self-worth, and his mother’s priorities?

Who knows, maybe your kid is resilient and it won’t damage them, but you are playing Russian Roulette, all the same, and you will not know if the bullet was in the chamber for years to come.

Just so you don’t think I am singling out mothers, I think it’s crummy when fathers take off, too, but there is no doubt that the maternal bond is far more powerful. I do not travel. and am entirely entwined in my boys’ daily lives, and yet when they are in distress, she is their only true comforter. She is the only one whose physical proximity heals all wounds.

There are as many bad parents as there are bad actors and bad drivers. Everyone thinks that the bad parent is the other guy. Even when we make stupid mistakes, we console ourselves with “Well, I did the best I could.” One thing is crystal clear to me: if you are going on vacation without your small children, you are not doing the best you can.

Q. What do you consider graceful aging?

A. Understanding that your job is to help the younger generations grow up, not to upstage them. Living from the knowledge that you had your turn; now it's theirs.

Q. Finally, what do you consider ungraceful aging?

A. Chopping your face up with a scalpel, injecting fat into your face, sucking fat from your thighs and stomach, dying your hair in an egregious way, appropriating the slang, fads, and fashions of the next generation, and having sex with people young enough to be your kids.

Peace out, yo.


Allison Burnett is a novelist and screenwriter, living in Los Angeles. His first novelChristopher was a finalist for the 2004 PEN Center USA Literary Award. His latest novel,Undiscovered Gyrl, was published this summer by Vintage Books. It is a must read and you should buy it immediately at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Undiscovered-Gyrl-Vintage-Contemporaries-Orig/dp/0307473120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250271119&sr=1-1

Please also visit Allison’s website: http://allisonburnett.com/


Thanks Allison, and I must admit to agreeing with 99.9% of the above. Readers, we welcome your comments - agree, disagree, violently agree or disagree, approve or disapprove, violently approve or disapprove. Bring it on!

12 comments:

  1. Some great insights..and an interesting perspective..a man's point of view..i must say i agree with almost all of his comments...but now i feel guilty i was in the hospital away from my 17 month old when i had her sister...b/c of a c section i was there longer than i had wanted to be...my youngest is 3 1/2 and has never spent a night with out me..though i wonder if that will make her MORE clingy than her older sister..who seems pretty independent and can self sooth more easily than my youngest..?? hhmm?? may have nothing to do with it?..but not sure..i will not chop up my face...but i have no problem with women who date or have meaningful relationships with younger men...ok..enough from me....NEXT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had kids, nor wanted to, but if I did, I could only hope to be as diligent with my parenting as Allison. (and as witty and well spoken.) I liked your questions and his answers were really well thought out. the only thing I disagree on is younger age partners, I have almost always dated younger guys, and I've been with my much younger partner 12 years. the only issue we ever have is that most of his friends now have young kids and most of mine are going through menopause(some with young kids, ha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like his points. I think a big failure many parents now make is marriage....or rather, not getting married.

    Cohabiting sends a message to kids when they are older that is negative. A strong parental commitment, even in difficult times, teaches the kids the value of tenacity and that love is more than just a "feel good" thing.

    I know several men who are extremely averse to marriage. That saddens me and I don't understand it.

    I know many women that would love to be married and must parent alone. They live under a tremendous level of stress of trying to do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitty, I think Allison was talking more about people with kids dating someone their kids age. At least, that's what I took from it. I also have no problem with dating younger people, but if it's a booty call - keep them away from the kids!

    Allison did say he was in the minority with his extreme opinions about mothers "abandoning" their children. I don't think spending a night or two because you were in the hospital, RegularJoe, is anything at all to beat yourself up about. I would be shocked if your daughter hurls that at you as bad parenting when she's arguing with you during adolescence.

    In my case, my son's father and I split up when he was young and my son would stay with his father on the weekends. Did this do irreparable damage? Did we load the bullets unintentionally in the chamber? So far, we've got a great kid - smart, good grades, compassionate, athletic, kind - everything a parent could want. Were we perfect? No. Were/are there things we could be doing better? Probably.

    There are many different kinds of families these days. Two dads, two moms, one mom, one dad. We do the best we can under whatever circumstances we have, hopefully. And by hopefully I mean, hopefully we're aware and conscious of our child's needs and put their needs before our own. These are only opinions expressed on this blog, and I've found myself having to adapt and change my opinions as the world around me changes. We don't walk in each other's shoes, and these opinions are coming from people who are UMC in a FWC (in case an earlier blog was missed, that means Upper Middle Class in a First World Country).

    Shall we try telling that Mom in Sierra Leone who has to leave her kids so she can feed them that she's doing a bad job? It's all perspective, obviously.

    Only rich people can be narcissistic, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with eveything Allison says. his kids are lucky. I have seen too much up close and personal results of children left with "caregivers" for the sake of their careers and from all I have seen, it's not pretty. The most well adjusted adults are those that knew they were loved, and that means daddy and mommy chose to be with them above all else. Nice interview Sarah. xxRhonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciated Allison's comments about premature separation from mother. It spoke to the need for parents to understand stages of human development. I believe more people should take advantage of what we know about we humans develop. Much child abuse has been caused by ignorance. Seek and ye shall find. I believe child development courses should mandatory, especially in low income areas. Go ahead have at me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read an article in The New Yorker a few years ago about a program called The Nurse/Infant Program, or something like that. The idea was that lower income people didn't really trust highly educated people such as doctors or psychologists, etc., but nurses didn't fall into that category. It started someplace in upstate New York in the late 70s. A nurse would get together with a pregnant teen and help her through the first year or so of the baby's life, making sure the mom finished her high school degree, got work, learned how to care for the baby. They tracked the babies of these moms into their late teens, and there was a higher percentage (if I'm remembering correctly) of kids who went through this program that graduated high school than those who hadn't gone through the program. The program went on for years with a fairly good success rate, and then Bush cut funding, disabling the project completely. Some of my facts may be muddled, but this is as best as I remember.

    Anyway, the point is, these kinds of things work. People aren't going to stop having babies, but if there's access to understanding how to parent and stop this cycle of poverty, abuse and misery, then maybe the world has a chance. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the conversation you have started here..all good points..though i do still feel guilty about leaving my 17 mos in my mom's hands at the time of her sister's birth...was she scared without me?..she couldn't talk to she couldn't ask "what happened to my mom"..did she understand when everyone told her what was happening? all these things we really do not know..and me wondering in hindsight if i caused her any pain or confusion..that kills me..though i may sound like i am overreacting...mom's do feel this way though..worried about our children's feelings, etc...but sarah..i do think that leaving your son with his father is wonderful..the only other good alternative..so much better than leaving him with a nanny...

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the unfortunate case of divorce/separation, we had the best case scenario. My son has a wonderful father who has always been hands-on and incredibly loving. My son adored spending time with him, and they have one of the most intimate father/son relationships I've ever seen. We were (and are) lucky that way. My son's father may be embarrassed when I say this if he's reading it, but he definitely has a maternal side and it worked to our boy's benefit. (If he is reading, that's a compliment).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am all for travel, especially if you have a competent co-parent. My few trips that I have taken with friends have enriched me beyond belief. My children benefit from that richness by sharing my enthusiasm for learning languages and geography. On my last trip I posted photos every night and delighted when my "3-year old exclaimed mommy I miss you, but you are in a really beautiful place." They learned that if I leave, I will come back. It is okay to take a break and not feel guilty, as long as you take the chance to truly reconnect with your spirit and health instead of a week-long tequila binge or something. Of course I have been working at home with my 2 little ones since 2004, so my time with them was not lacking. But the richness of seeing South Africa and remote Mayan ruins enriched me and I pass that passion to them. What an amazing gift my husband gives to me by fully taking over when I have a rare chance to travel. Not many mom's are offered such a gift. We are never so judged as when we become parents, especially by other parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with absolutley everysinglefucking thing this guy says.

    refreshing beyond measure.

    lisa
    (mother of 9 year old Levon)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete