About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Monday, November 16, 2009

23. Don't Put Off Today, What You Can't Do Tomorrow

This one comes hard-learned. In the photo to the left is my friend Ken Ober, who died this past weekend (also in the photo is my friend Stephanie). I hadn't talked to Ken in a couple of months, but maybe it's been longer. There'd been email exchanges, perhaps a random phone call here and there, but I always thought there'd be time. He wanted to get together awhile back. He was willing to drive over, pick me up at whatever time I wanted, and bring me home. Yet somehow I managed to not go. It wasn't about him. It's sort of been like that with most people lately. I blame it on not having the time; life is too busy, I have too much to do. But somehow, over the past couple of years, I've just let things slip past me. Friends I adore, things I love to do, have just little by little started to fade away. Partly this is because I am busy - that's what happens when you're a single parent for most of the week. Single parents are in worker bee mode. That alarm rings at 5:45 a.m., and you are on the go until 10:00 p.m. There's not an ounce of spontaneity on those days.

However, I do have two nights a week to myself so why have I let this happen? I write this not really having an answer. This is, perhaps, self-examination on the fly. And why is it so many of us don't really stop to think about things until something terrible has happened? In this case, the death of one of the kindest, funniest, most generous friends I've ever known.

I used to be one of the most social people I knew. In my 20s, I was out every night. I loved crowds, parties, clubs. I even loved the packed subway. I found it exhilarating. Everyday was an adventure I couldn't wait to explore. Of course, by 31 I was pregnant and life took a different path. Now I was up in the middle of the night not because I was rolling in before the sun came up, but because I was breast-feeding. Yet I was still social; dinner parties, drinks with friends, art openings. When I was in Austin, I was going to see my friends play music or hosting parties at my house all the time. I met new people constantly.

Now, at the time when I probably should be social (single, in the last few years of being somewhat okay to look at, still in possession of bodily and mental functions), I'm the most isolated I've ever been. It's not that I don't go out - it's just that I go out and I'm home by 9:00 p.m. most of the time. No kidding. Now there's a nice little life I've carved out for myself, right? Meanwhile, life goes on. My son gets older, I get older. Time doesn't stop because I have.

If I constantly say no, eventually no one's going to ask. If I don't answer the phone, it will stop ringing. If I don't go see friends I've known for nearly 20 years, they will go away and that is a very, very sad lesson to learn.

I vow to call my friends, make plans to see them, and open myself up to the adventure that life still is.

That's probably the corniest, most embarrasing line I've ever written and I am cringing, but it's message is important. To me, anyway.

6 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat but in the middle of the ocean. wondering the same thing. too often it all seems like too much effort. but when I come to LA or do get together with friends here I always enjoy myself and wish I was as social as I used to be. I didn't even have cable until I moved out of LA, well, at least legal cable. maybe it's just the residual funk leftover from the 8 Bush years, we're still trying to shed that skin of despair. love your blog. and you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bush years as a reason crossed my mind a few days ago, randomly, about something else, but that "something else" is tied to the above, for sure (fo' shizzle? nah...won't do it). I'm glad you pull me out of my isolation when you're here, BFF! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of this is just the natural progression of this in this modern age. Imagine if we didn't have computers, cell phones, in home studios and lots of nothing on tv. And the fractured families due to divorce, both parents working, single moms or dads..all contribute.
    Your articulate and heartfelt perspectives resonate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're over your embarrassment because this post really spoke to me. Recently a friend drifted out of my life and I realized that once I'd had a really tight group of girlfriends and now they were scattered. So like you I'm making more of an effort to make play dates for my Little Dude, getting to know the moms and just getting out there and striking up conversations with strangers in cafes because I never know where a new friend might be waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mary. You're Alex's friend, right? I'm over my embarrassment and trying to get motivated to blog some more. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete