About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Friday, July 3, 2009

A moment of tribute...

So, I just came from happy hour with a couple of friends (who suggested my happy hour knowledge should be a blog on its own, but that's neither here nor there at this moment) and it was pointed out, with a kind of "ahem", that maybe I was being a little harsh. Looking over this blog, I can see how that would be construed.  Aging in Los Angeles is not pretty, it's unforgiving, and when you find yourself single - in whatever capacity - over 35 (or even 32!), it's an uphill battle to maintain your sanity and your dignity. It's impossible to compete. And truly, that's the point of this - DON'T COMPETE! Be yourself. Be your age. Be graceful. 

Having said that, I must talk about Tony Alda, who died today. I didn't know him as well as a lot of people, but the time that I did spend with him was special. He had a way of making fun of me (note: the above photo where I'm tilting my head to get the "best angle") that almost no one was able to get away with. When he laughed at me, it really was "laughing with me", as cliche as that sounds, and he'll never know because I never told him how much that meant to me. Tony didn't get to "age cringelessly" because he was young when he died today, but he was graceful and loving and an amazing presence in the world.

He will be missed.

15 comments:

  1. how did Tony die? i can't find any info about it anywhere online...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was his liver...did you know him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIP Tony Alda. Was in hospital for a long time? Somebody on Askpedia said that he had been shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I had also read that he was shot

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, he wasn't shot. It was his liver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew Tony for a short time in 1978 when we did a General Hospital together. After that we got together once and awhile to play cards and hang out, but lost touch about 1980 or 1981. I was editing my biography and television credits on the IMDB and saw that he had passed away last year. I wish I could have seen him once more just to say hi and talk about old times. But time really does slip away from us. If you want to do something or say something to someone, you should do it or say it. Because before you know it, it could be too late...

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's correct, maybe aging in los angeles wouldn't the greatest thing in the world, and you're definitely right about the whole be yourself stuff, i'm sure tony was the best for all the people...
    R.I.P. Mr.Alda, rest in peace tony...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met Antony in an acting course in 1978, taught by the late great Jeff Corey --- and Tony and I became fast friends... we did some scene work together, we hung out a lot together, played cards, laughed a lot! --- I was at his house for a party one night, and his Mom and Dad (the late Robert Alda) celebrated with us... I think it was Tony's birthday... Tony visited me in New York when I moved back in 1979... he was such an awesome guy, we became fast friends... I was just 23 when we met, I'm now 55, and I am so saddened by his loss. jackfirestone@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack, thank you for the comment and for sharing your memories. I haven't blogged here in awhile so it's nice to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worked with Tony on a movie years ago, thought of him to be a nice guy, I see Sarah also loved him, since she dated and lived with him for many years

    ReplyDelete
  11. I first met Antony at St. Victor's Catholic school in West Hollywood in the mid 1960's. I will always remember the first time I saw him. He entered our classroom like he owned the place. He was new to the school and having registered about mid way through the semester he stood out. It's funny, but you couldn't help feel that he was actually much older than 12 years of age, say about 25. He actually strutted through the isle giving all of us the once over...classic. In the late 70's early 80's I ran into him at The Mayfair Market now Gelsons in West Hollywood, he looked great and was in high spirits. I recall him being very proud of his brother Alan's success in "MASH" referring to him as " Haweye ",we spoke for awhile and I didn't see him again until about 25 years later when I ran into him on the Sunset Strip where I worked, he was with his two young sons and told me he was a drummer in a band and asked me to come see him, I told him I would but never did, I regret that. I will always remember him fondly, he truly was a " Gentleman " and kind soul in all the 3 or 4 years we spent together as classmates he was fun to hang out with. I envy all of you who got to know him later in life, may God Bless him and his family always

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone know where he was intered? Or if he was cremated and his remains given to family or friend. I would like very much to pay my respects if possible. Thank you and Thank you for this site.

    ReplyDelete