About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Monday, July 27, 2009

10. Don't get bombed in front of the kid...

...or drunk or stoned or however you want to put it. There's just nothing that makes this alright. We've all slipped up at some point and had too much to drink. When you're spanning 20 or so years of drinking, the odds are you've worn a lampshade or over-shared with a semi-friend or woken up with that guy/girl who was a lot cuter at 2:00 a.m. (or so I've read about in books and seen in movies!).

But now you've got kids. This is no longer an option. Sure, it's fine to have a glass or two of wine with dinner but when it becomes a bottle or two long after the last dish has been put away (or not put away, depending on the kind of drunk you are) then it's time to sit up and take notice. Change your ways. Look in the mirror. Do an about-face. (You get the point).

Truly, this is a no-brainer, but we've all forgotten on occasion and the look on Junior/Juniorette's face when the apologies abound in the light of day is one of the most sobering moments in a parent's life. And there are parents who have more of a "live and let live" attitude than I do. We've probably all heard the refrain, "When I was a kid, my parents did ________ and I turned out fine". Well, I suppose that's one philosophy and it also depends on how one defines "turning out fine". I'm not so sure I fit that bill, but I'm harder on myself than I should be. Besides, isn't the cycle of life that we want better for our children than we had, whatever that may be? 

Perhaps topping off that glass can wait for Mommies' Night Out or Poker With The Guys (yes, I've stereotyped the sexes). 

Or, as my brother puts it, "Bar time".
 

 

1 comment: