About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

16. Do what you have to do to hold it together for the kid

Remember the days when crazy was interesting? There was a time I did my best to embellish my childhood, making it seem as nuts and dysfunctional as possible. Here's a recurring question in this blog: What was I thinking? And it's accompanying answer: Clearly I wasn't.

I rushed off to therapy when I was 20-years-old. Not that I didn't need it, but to be honest, I think my main motivation was because I thought it was "cool". It was cool to be traumatized, and if there was a label, I put it on myself. I'm not kidding. Looking back, I'm shuddering not with shame, but pity for my young self.

But I digress. This is now and what I believe now is that it's likely most people have a level of depression. At least, most people who can afford it. That is, Upper Middle Class in a First World country. Some real, some indulgent.  There's a lot to be depressed about, truthfully. We live in a world filled with poverty, sexual deviation, child abuse, drug abuse, lack of health care, obesity, starvation, disease, uneducated morons, violence, war, racism, classism, sexism, religious fanaticism, dwindling water supply, general malaise and stupefying denial. Not to mention personal problems: divorce, job loss, loneliness, too fat, too thin, not thriving in your career, unresolved childhood issues, illness, family dynamics and countless other day-to-day things that make up a life and cause stress.

So you're depressed. I am too, if not actively at the moment, have been and am sure to be again. When I was younger (pre-kid), I indulged myself. I took to bed, chain-smoked, slept all day, called in sick to work, rented sad movies and cried, bored my friends with hours of self-pity on the phone, and fed into the wounded narcissism. Hey, I was young and Upper Middle Class in a First World Country - what else was I to do? (Not to mention, I had some real issues going on.)

These days, because I'm a mom, I choose other ways to deal with my stuff when it comes up. Not getting out of bed and crying all day when there's someone who needs a meal or a ride to school is no longer an option.

There are a myriad of options out there and no reason to judge oneself with what they choose (unless it's, you know, the meth pipe or the daily bottle of Popov). Lately, I've been trying long walks and exercise and watching Vanguard journalism to check myself and remember that I'm UMC in a FWC. If I needed it, though, if things got really bad and I legitimately could not get out of bed - then I'd hit the shrink and get a prescription. I don't understand the prejudice against anti-depressants. I think shaming anyone for anything (unless it's Phillip Garrido or Josef Frizl or...) is such a small-minded way to live your life. But that's a rant in a different direction.

The point is, get some help. Not just for yourself but for your kid, because you know what? Some behavior is learned and unless there's a genetic pre-disposition for it, depression can be mimicked. 

Do you want for your kid what you have? I certainly don't. 


6 comments:

  1. do you think afghani women describe themselves as "depressed" these days?
    but i totally agree with your thesis and the imperative of looking beyond oneself regarding our children. it's not completely true that if momma aint happy, no one's happy. sometimes momma has to suck it up and be the grown-up.
    sondheim: "careful the things you say, children will listen. careful the things you do, children will see and learn, children may not obey but children will listen."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afghani women aren't in a First World Country...that was a huge part of my point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Sondheim quote. It should be in every parenting book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried an experiment yesterday. Generally I get cranky when I have to go into town and deal with gallery business, tourists and the like. Yesterday as I got out of the car, I decided to practice smiling. I smiled at the cross walk, I smiled as I walked down the street behind painfully slow people taking up the side walk - a slow cheshire smile. It worked. OK, it might have been a snarky grin at the guy with the bad haircut who most likely worships Glenn Beck, but it was all good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try that today. I'll check back and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your points about not judging whatever someone has to do to function. This was a great blog in general!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very thought provoking - I'm going to think about it further.

    ReplyDelete