About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

19. As hard as it may be, don't be bitter


There's nothing graceful about being bitter. It's also completely understandable if you are. Life can be hard, disappointing, not what you thought it was going to be, painful and at times dull (though I welcome the dull moments, frankly).  You get to a certain point and if you're not where you thought you would be, it can be infuriating. What happened? What didn't happen? What did I do wrong? What wrong was done to me? Relationship failures, career letdowns, family issues, and of course these days the horrible economy and devastating state of the world. It's truly enough to drive you insane or, become bitter.

Here's the thing, though: Don't. Don't let yourself become angry and spiteful and hateful. It's the most aging and unattractive quality you can have. Despite how you look to the rest of the world, it feels horrible to be that mad. And if you have kids, look at the message you're sending them: I didn't get exactly what I want, so I'm going to stomp my feet and hate the world. Guess what that's going to do? One of two things: either they'll grow up and feel the same way about life, or they'll grow up and pity you for having behaved that way. Either scenario, it ain't pretty.

I'm not saying this is easy. I'm not saying I haven't had my moments of being pissed off and feeling sorry for myself. More than I care to admit, to be honest. But it does nothing for my life, it does nothing for my outlook on life, and it certainly doesn't change anything. All it does is take away the light at the end of the tunnel, add some wrinkles, and increase my chance for an early death.

Life might not be exactly what you want it to be, but if you're too busy being mad about that, you've no chance to change it. 

As my friend told me, "The windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror". 


1 comment:

  1. very good points..and so constructive...love your friend and their analogy!

    ReplyDelete