About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with an almost 13-year-old boy who is beginning to find his way in the world, while his mother has started to lose hers.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

17. Some things to avoid if you were born before 1977

Clubs (as in, nightclubs): Once in awhile, of course, it's fine - if you're with a group and it's spontaneous and you want to dance. But an every night type of thing? No. Club days are over. Make room for the young. The older people did that for you when you were starting out, now it's your turn. Move over. Go home and watch "Mad Men" or catch up on that stack of New Yorkers.

Cocaine: Not much to say about this, except...Ew.

Skateboards: I've said this before, but it warrants another mention because today I saw a guy who was pushing 50 skating down Abbot Kinney. I was worried and embarrassed for him.

The Zooey Deschanel haircut: It looks really cute on her. She's adorable. She's young. She can pull it off. We can't.

Sideburns: Aside from being supremely unattractive, it reeks of pretentious hipster and that truly is a mission only for the young.

Standing in line at Undefeated for the newest pair of kicks: (or even referring to them as "kicks") Come on. This is a no-brainer, but I swear I've seen guys out there that are days away from collection a pension.

Kabbalah Red Bracelet: This has nothing to do with age, it's just annoying. Yet another "spiritual" fad. In the 18 years I've been in and out of L.A., I'm guessing there's been as many celebrity spiritual fads. It's tiresome, it's not believable, it's identity-less. Keep your spirituality to yourself. It's meant to be private, not shared with the rest of the world simply to prove you're deep.

If anyone has any more to share, feel free to comment. Once again, I don't mean to be harsh but sometimes you've gotta be cruel to be kind...

8 comments:

  1. skate boarding is not a crime at any age. getting older and not wiser is. your blog has inspired me. Thanks, death by a thousand kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While blogging has become a pop culture must have, there are, as in every trend that comes down the American Pike, the best of and worst fall into their respective columns of the mind. Your blog, reeks of female aging insecurities. You've projected, inadvertently so, all of your fears about how you are or will be perceived. You've overlooked the notion that with age, not all of us ponder with such concentration how we will be perceived, accepted or not. In fact by adulthood, a balanced person isn't thinking much about that stuff, as there are other matters that preoccupy us, like earning a living, paying mortgages, raising kids...We've all seen the adult male and female who seems stuck in adolescence, and without too harsh a judgment, simply acknowledge to ourselves how they are. This is nothing compared to the person who feels a daily need to point out these unfortunate traits with such scorn to an imagined, awaiting reader. Stop embarrassing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've taken the time to write a measured and lengthy response, yet you remain anonymous. Why not show yourself? At that point, I may have an interest in a debate.

    P.S. One of the other assumptions about becoming an adult is being able to tell when someone is (ala Ricky Gervais)"having a laugh". With the exception of a few of my posts (getting drunk in front of your kids, etc.) my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek. I wonder what it is that set you off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no time for anonymous commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always laugh at your blog especially over the ones that I am guilty of myself or wish I was of guilty of. I recognize this blog as part of a creative outlet for you and a form of entertainment for the rest of us and for that, I thank you.

    How sad for the those who take themselves too seriously.......as to critique this blog at all and to do so anonomously. Live a little and lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that haircut, um... ... a while ago.

    I heard recently from a rabbi that kabbalah is meant to be studied later in life. After say, 45. Oh, and you're jewish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, now, I think you could pull off the Zooey hair.

    ReplyDelete